Stornoway Gazette, 11 April 1941
The "Forfar Memorial"
A memorial has been unveiled in the town of Forfar to the men of HMS Forfar, formerly the CPH liner Montrose, which was torpedoed and sunk last December. The plaque was unveiled in the old Parish Church, Forfar, in the presence of the Provost, Magistrates and Councillors, by Mrs Arnot, wife of Commander Arnot.
The plaque was inscribed "In proud memory of Captain N. A. C. Hardie, R.N., 41 officers and 143 men of HMS Forfar, 2nd December, 1940. In honour of the brave captain and all the intrepid sailors and mates and to all that went down doing their duty."
Of the 143 men lost on HMS Forfar, five were Lewismen: John Macleod, 16 Cross, Ness; John Murdo Macdonald, 16 Lundale; Norman Macleod, 8 Knockaird; Malcolm Macleod, 31 Crossbost; and Donald Macdonald, 4 Ranish.
There were also six Lewis seamen among the survivors from HMS Forfar, and among the many floral tributes in the church at the unveiling ceremony was one "from Commander Arnot and the Survivors".