Kenneth Maciver, 25 Cross Skigersta Road

26 March 1943
When Able Seaman Kenneth Maciver, RNR, 25 New Road, Habost, was reported "missing, presumed killed", his widow received this letter from one of his officers.

"I am writing on behalf of the surviving officers and men of HMS ------ to tender you our heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your husband and our shipmate, Able Seaman Kenneth Maciver, who so gallantly gave his life in action against the enemy. He had, as you know, been with us since the beginning of the commission, and had become an indispensible member of the ship's company. It was therefore with very deep regret that we found him to be amongst those missing.

"Throughout the action, he worked unceasingly, entirely regardless of his own safety, and I cannot speak too highly of the fine example of courageous devotion to duty which he set his shipmates. He was indeed a man among men, and you may well feel most proud of him.

"If ever in the future I can be of our assistance to you, please do not hesitate to let me know, I shall be only too glad to do anything I can".

Able Seaman Maciver is survived by widow and one son.

No comments:

Post a Comment